Friday, April 30, 2010

Shouldn't Have Done, Couldn't Have Done

This evening I was consumed by a craving for cake, but I was by myself and didn't want to drive out and buy a piece of cake, so I thought - why don't I make cake in a cup? Because I saw it on youtube one time, and was taken aback by the brilliance of it. Cake for one person! In a little mug! In the microwave! Amazing!

So I copied down the recipe and set about mixing everything together, super excited for how awesome my cake was going to be. I would make icing, and use those rainbow sprinkles, and it would be the best cake ever made in a little mug. I only became mildly concerned when it started rising out of the mug after only 30 seconds, so just in case it was going to explode the microwave and send microwave parts flying at my face, I hid behind the dining room wall and watched it from a safe distance.

When the three magical microwave minutes were up, I removed the mug and was a little bit puzzled by how it had shrunk down - the recipe said it should rise above the mug. And it had risen, but then shriveled up again. But maybe that's just what happens? Perhaps a tiny taste before I go to all the trouble of making icing.

As I'm sure you predicted, my tiny taste was less than satisfactory. Not DISGUSTING, which is a relief, but it had the consistency of pancakes. Which are fine when you are expecting pancakes, but super disappointing when you are expecting cake. (I think this stems back to not having a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon, so I guessed, and also I don't know how much a dash of vanilla is.) Still, I figured probably it would taste okay with a ton of icing. Only, it turns out I can't really make icing. The sprinkles were good, though.

Lesson learned: don't use the first recipe you find on the internet. Also, just buy a cake from the store.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I am loving your blog, and especially this post! Good for you for hiding behind a wall while your microwave almost blew up. You should have also worn protective eye wear and possibly a thick smock just in case. Next time! Speaking of next time, when you have a cake craving you should call me and we can bake a REAL cake and then eat it all. Because I also enjoy cake. And icing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your microwave didn't blow up. But sad that your cake wasn't so great. Maybe had you taken that bowl of icing sugar from my house, you could have eaten it with your cake and at that point you wouldn't have even tasted the cake. Can I help you guys eat your entire cake? hehe

    ReplyDelete