Sunday, May 29, 2011

cardigans by miss w: too cool for straight cuts and seams.

I never used to wear or own white, because, I don't know if you've met me, but I spill and fall a lot. Also, as a teacher, sometimes I get so irritated by my students that I want to be as FAR AWAY FROM THEM as possible, which means leaning my back against the white board, which means I get whiteboard marker residue all over my clothes.

Then one day I bought a lovely sleeveless top that was on sale! But I can't wear sleeveless tops to work, so since the new-on-sale shirt had some white in it, I bought a full-price white cardigan to match it. I always get suckered into buying full price stuff to match my sale price stuff.

Then since I suddenly had a white cardigan, I found myself wearing it all the time! Like, all these outfits that looked really good with white cardigans. What had I been wearing them with before??? The mind wonders. Anyhow, the weather abruptly turned summerish over here in the north Island, so I can't wear a cardigan anymore because my classroom gets so hot I want to die. But I still have all these neat sleeveless tops that I still can't wear to work without something over top, so I thought to myself, "I should get a white t-shirt cardigan. That should be pretty easy to find, right?"

WRONG. I looked at all the places there are to buy clothes here, and couldn't find anything. (Times like this make me want to be Sabrina the Teenage Witch; remember in the opening credits how she changed and created outfits by magic? JEALOUS.) I was going to drive to Courtney, where there are more stores, until I googled "no sew cardigans" because I vaguely remembered such a thing from a long time ago.

And guys! Did you know that you can take a shirt and just cut it down the middle and have a cardigan? Well, you can. I found this old white long-sleeved t-shirt buried in my drawer, and cut it down the middle, and cut off the sleeves at the elbow, and BAM! Summer cardigan. I was so excited that I tried it on with a million outfits yesterday and now know what I'm going to wear every day this week.

Then, since I find anything new to like without becoming completely obsessed with it, I dug through a bag of clothes I was going to give away and made two more cardigans by cutting up shirts. I think I might take them to someone who has a sewing machine because I was so excited that I didn't really cut straight, but still! I made something really cool!

**ps: I forgot to mention that your shirts must be of fabric that doesn't fray, otherwise the whole thing will dissolve before you have a chance to show it off. All of my shirts were a cotton/spandex blend, which the internet told me will not fray. But it is the internet, so it might be wrong, so do your own research to make sure.

Now Included in the Experience: pictures of my genius
(Keep in mind that I'm terrible at modeling and taking pictures of myself. While you're keeping that in mind, pay attention to my fabulous skirt that you can see a bit of! I love my skirt.)

I didn't take "before" pictures, but I'm sure you can imagine it pieced together. I just cut down the middle, and chopped off the arms.

Instead of a useless shirt, now it is a lovely drapey summer cardigan! Also, look at my pretty skirt.
Close-up of my boob/the cutting to highlight the sub-par chop job. (Which is why when I wear it, it kind of folds over by my armpits.)

3 comments: