Thursday, February 23, 2012

took the stars from my eyes and then i made a map

So I'm in love with Florence and the Machine, and I think you should be, too. I'm not talking about Ceremonials, which is the new cd that I haven't heard and therefore cannot vouch for; I'm talking about Lungs, which came out a while ago and which I got for Christmas and which I have been listening to obsessively since then.


I love it because she has an amazing voice, and the lyrics are interesting, and there is a heap of instruments that contribute to make a full, complicated sound. There are slow songs for when I'm sad and fast songs for when I'm happy and no bad words. (Not happy songs, though. Once I'd listened enough to sing along to all the songs I realized that the general theme of them all is obsessive, unreciprocated love. Like, super obsessive. Like, wanting to wear his skin like a wedding dress obsessive. The nice thing about that is that it made me feel normal when I was sad about a boy situation. [Hardly a situation; it didn't last very long and I don't even think they were really dates.] Yes, I was sad and I thought about him ALL THE TIME for a bit, but at least I never wanted to wear his flesh as a wedding dress. I think that's important.)

Anyway. Don't let that deter you from listening to it. Here, I made you a playlist. My favourites, if you want to jump right to them because they are fantastically amazing, are Cosmic Love and Blinding. I routinely skip Kiss With a Fist, because it's about beating each other up, and Girl With One Eye, because it makes me uncomfortable, and You've Got the Love, because it's boring and happy. But the rest! The rest are awesome. I've been listening to the rest for two months. Go listen!

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the youtube clip of Florence taming the wild baby in the carseat?

    Cosmic love is definitely my favorite of her's. You've got good taste. Kari

    ReplyDelete