Tuesday, March 20, 2012

houseplants and photo albums are a lot of trouble

Basically I love projects. When I was in school and the teacher was like, "Hey guys here's your new project," I was usually one of the only ones going YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS because projects are one of my favourite things. (As long as I get to do them by myself. Group projects are the worst.) So I found two projects I want to do in my life, which is exciting and I am going to tell you about it, except I'm hesitant about my success because I'm really lazy.

1. THE HAPPINESS PROJECT

A little while ago, as I was driving home from Vancouver with sadness in my heart and rain on the windshield and melancholy songs on the radio all because of a boy who doesn't really matter in the end but I wanted to give you some context and a run-on sentence, I realized that I wasn't really satisfied with my life. I'm tired all the time, I'm lonely, I'm overweight, everything's awful. Luckily, instead of driving my car into the nearest body of water, I thought to myself: so fix it, stupid. Then it was exciting! I made a list of the stuff I didn't like about my life, and then I made a list of all the things I can do to fix them. Then I spent a long time using different coloured sharpies to make a chart of THINGS I WILL DO and how many days a week I will do them. It was bright and amazing.

Then I only crossed like 3 things off the list and it all petered out so that kind of stinks. But then! I got this book from the library called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and she was doing EXACTLY what I wanted to do. Which was initially disappointing - if I'd been successful I could've written a book about it and been famous, but instead I failed and am not famous at all - but then was exciting again because she gives lots of good tips and strategies and has a Happiness Toolbox a person can use if they want to start their very own Happiness Project. Which I do!

Anyway, I'll have more to say on that later (just you wait!) but I know you're dying to discover what my other project is, and I want to tell you before this blog post turns into a novel.

2. WARDROBE REHAB

Confession: I'm one of those people who stares despondently at my two (TWO!) closets and whines, "I have nothing to wearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr." (Important sidenote - one of those closets is dresses and cardigans and pants, and the other one is shirts. They are both small.) The point being, I have lots of wonderful clothes and no outfits. I don't feel stylish and put-together when I am wearing my clothes, and stylish and put-together I long to be. I look at my friends with envy because they are stylish and I feel drab. So I spent a lot of time on the internet at my new job because lots of the time I have nothing to do, and I found tons of websites just for people like me! The trouble is taking the heaps and heaps of advice and boiling it down into something manageable.

I think I have done so, however, and so the first thing I did was buy a wide, black belt. It's pretty awesome. Then I went through my closet and got rid of some stuff. Then I made a list of the things that I should have, that apparently everyone should have, and they are the ONLY things I am allowed to buy. I tell you I am already on my way to being the most stylish person you know.

Anyway. Those are my projects. I will keep you updated as you wait with bated breath for the outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment