Friday, October 8, 2010

orchard of the strangest fruits

So this is what happened. I opened the front door of my HOME home and was confused because the stairs didn't look familiar. I've been away for a month and I can't even remember what my house looks like. It was a sad, strange moment for me.

Thursday and Friday I was at a teacher's conference and it felt like I was at camp! Mostly because all the staff stayed at the same hotel on the same floor, and we went out for dinner together and sometimes ended up in the Tim Horton's line-up together. It made me realize that I really feel like part of the community at my school, which makes me happy. Now that they are all back in Campbell River and I am at home I miss them, and it's not going to be the same when we get back because some of them I never see because we're on different floors and have lunch at different times. But instead of being sad about that I'm going to be glad that I work with such great people.

These are things I learned at the conference:
- apparently I am a stream-of-consciousness talker
- when I don't get enough sleep I walk into glass windows because I think they are doors
- some tips on differentiating learning for my math class so my genius kid won't get bored and rude
- my habit of drinking hot sugary coffee several times during the day is THE WORST thing I could do for my voice
- keynote speakers = boring 99% of the time
- Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich = amazing 100% of the time (sidenote: I just tried "samwidge" and then "sandwidge" before getting it right. Something is wrong here.)

These are things I learned from being at HOME home for 8 hours:
- I have the best puppies in the world
- television is not as overrated as I tried to convince myself it was
- a new pet peeve is people planning my day for me because I am an independent grown-up and can plan my day for myself
- I miss having other people in the house when I'm going to bed
- it tastes better when someone else makes the coffee
- sometimes I really don't feel like talking

1 comment: