Tuesday, June 7, 2011

don't let the door hit you on the way out

I have a gazillion boxes in my car because I went to the liquor store for boxes because I am moving soon. I thought they might give me a few boxes. Maybe even several boxes. I said to the lady, "Do you have any boxes?" and she said, "Follow me," and then brought out this giant cart filled with boxes. I stuffed them in my trunk and in my backseat, and then folded some up and put even more in my trunk.

The box-gathering happened on the weekend, but of course the boxes are still in my car. I dislike making numerous trips with things, and there is NO WAY I can get all the boxes in one trip. So instead I will do it in zero trips, and leave them in my car until I move. It's not like I carry an abundance of passengers around, who will be inconvenienced by all the boxes.

Anyway. Staring at boxes every time I look in the rear view mirror reminds me that I am moving soon, which is something I am extremely ambivalent about. (Remember when I thought ambivalent meant to be indifferent, but in fact it means to feel two opposing feelings at once.) I was ambivalent about moving here, now I am ambivalent about moving home. There are things I love and things I don't love about this tiny town, so I made a list to share with you all. It is a list in two parts. The things I am glad to leave behind will be first. (This list is not in order of how much I dislike the thing, it's just in the order in which they popped into my brain.)

Things I Will Not Miss About Living in Campbell River:
1. No cable. Watching shows on my teeny tiny netbook isn't the best for my eyes, I think. Plus, sometimes I just want to watch mindless television while doing a task.
2. Family, friends etc. so far away. It will be nice to be around all the people I know again.
3. Crazy parents. Surely they will follow me throughout my teaching career, but it's even more awkward when the ones who yell the loudest are the ones who work with you every day.
4. Finding miscellaneous bones on the sidewalks. Seriously. I'll be walking and then, "Oh hey, there's a bone." I think because there are lots of cats and eagles milling around, which is no doubt a bad combination for the cats.
5. Cougars. Every time I go walking in a wooded area, I am reminded of that time I overheard a conversation about how cougars are everywhere and not scared of people and just wait for you to walk into their jaws.
6. Limited shopping. There are some good stores in Campbell River, but not very many stores. It will be nice to have options again, and places to go for unusual items.
7. Stupid gas stations. Either they don't have pay at the pump and I have to go in and TALK to somebody, or else they pump gas as quick as molasses.
8. No dishwasher. Sometimes I decide, "I'm not going to do dishes this week," and then it takes me like 3 hours to catch up on the weekend and I run out of spoons. Such problems would be less time-consuming to solve with a dishwasher who can do it all FOR me.
9. Being able to buy bras without fear of mortification. This is what I picture every time I think I would like to get some new underwear - standing in the bra section of Wal Mart, and then SUDDENLY. There is one of my students. I don't think either of us could ever come back from that. 
10. Slurpees that taste like soap. Every one I've tried. I don't know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment