Friday, September 9, 2011

everyday you act worse, but today you're acting like tomorrow

Here is another old, forgotten musical review. Aren't you glad I found all these?

19. Roberta (1935) - Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. This one started with a struggling band ending up in Paris and a gig getting canceled over a confusion between "Indians" and "Indianians." One of the dudes in the band is all, "I know this lady from when I was a kid who lives here, but I can't remember what her name is." Another dude is like, "Well, my aunt is this super rich dress lady, so she can probably help or something." So the band goes to the dress shop, and the aunt is lovely and she has a pretty assistant that her nephew falls for. Then this screaming countess comes around, and it turns out that she's not a countess at all, but in fact the lady the other guy was looking for, and she's faking that she's a countess!
     Then it switches tracks from the whole band thing, and the aunt dies and leaves the dress shop to her nephew, and the nephew and assistant become partners and clearly both really like each other. But then! The nephew's old girlfriend shows up and is all, "Why hello, former lover who is now rich and famous." He bumbles all over her, and the assistant comes in at the exact moment when they kiss! It's awful. I actually gasped in horror. But then it turns out the assistant is a princess or something, and the old girlfriend is a jerk, and everything is okay at the end.
    What I liked was all the romance, and all the dresses, and how fantastic the ending was. I also liked that there was a bit less tap dancing than in the other Fred/Ginger movie I watched. Sometimes I think too much tap dancing is a little bit boring. It was weird that Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were background characters, but they make really for a really good supporting cast. (They also make a really good central cast - either way they are fantastic.)
     What I did not like was that the plot veered off into an unforeseen direction, and then it was as though they forgot what they started with. A struggling band? What? I thought we were making a movie about dresses. Oh, you say we started out with a movie about a struggling band? Pffff, nobody will remember that when they see all the DRESSES! And at one point I'm pretty sure the assistant is wearing a full-on rubber dress with a giant rubber bow right by her face. RUBBER. A RUBBER DRESS.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I made you a button... If you hate it, never use it. But I thought you may like it and maybe want to use it for other people to put on their blogs to link to your page? I already have...

    http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/6174/laughing.jpg

    ReplyDelete