Tuesday, September 6, 2011

you look like a mess of worms

All the kids are at school today for an hour, which means that even if teachers ARE sick they can suck it up for an hour, which means that I didn't get a call to work today. So instead I worked on my blog! And I found all these old reviews of musicals from earlier this year. I am confused because I can't remember if I posted them already, except that they're all patiently sitting in a row with "DRAFT" beside them. I'm sure blogger knows what's going on, so I'll just believe that I never published them. Probably because I watched way too much t.v. for a while back there, and didn't want you all to judge me. So I'll be posting them now. Like this one!

18. Funny Face (1957) - Fred Astaire, Audrey Hepburn. There's this girl who works in the BEST BOOKSTORE EVER, until a bunch of magazine people come in and take pictures. The photographer kisses her randomly, and then the magazine lady decides she wants the bookstore girl as a model, but the bookstore girl is morally opposed to modeling, except when it takes her to Paris, then she's cool. Except that she causes a bunch of problems with her morals, and then her and the photographer fall in love. It is unclear as to whether she continues to model or goes back to the bookstore or whatever.
     What I liked in this one was the photo-shoot montage - I LOVE photo-shoot montages. Those were totally my favourite parts on America's Next Top Model. I also quite liked Audrey Hepburn in general, except the whole time I was trying to figure out if she had an accent, or was just enunciating VERY CLEARLY. (Turns out she had an accent - Belgian.) I also liked seeing Fred Astaire dancing, and listening to him sing. He does neat stuff with his voice.
      Not as pleasant were the shape of Fred Astaire's head, which continues to bug me, and also the lack of a Dramatic Cinderella Make-Over Reveal Scene. I know women shouldn't have to be made over as models to be beautiful blah blah blah, but I really like a good Dramatic Cinderella Make-Over Reveal Scene. (See She's All That, Princess Diaries, Miss Congeniality.) Also, she kept going on and on about "empathicalism," which is a philosophy of life or whatever written by some French dude, but that's just REGULAR EMPATHY. You can't take something that already exists and make it into a new word and pretend you invented it. (Although this happened in a movie. Maybe it was supposed to be dumb.)
     Overall, I liked it! Especially the photo-shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment