Sunday, March 6, 2011

all good things must come to this

I received a bouquet of purple tulips as a gift last week. Those things are nuts - they absolutely love the cold. I open the window a crack during the day and night to indulge them their idiosyncrasies, and even though the crack is only big enough for one or two of them to stick their heads out, the whole crew leans towards the opening, hoping to catch a breath of the wintry air. I don't keep a lot of living things in my apartment, due to my penchant for completely forgetting they depend on me wholly - a few months ago a friend gave me a plant, and every week I replay this scene:

Me: (engaged in some mindless task) Holy crap! Whoops! (run over to sink and fill up a cup with water, then pour it all over my poor, parched plant) Sorry, man. I won't forget you again! (knowing this is a lie)

It's different with my tulips, because I love them passionately. (So passionately that I am huddled in a blanket so they can enjoy their fresh air.) Also, they only need to be watered once, which I've done. At least, I think so. Maybe I should be changing their water, like with a fish?

Anyway. The point of this rambling is because today I was reading my book in the sunshine when suddenly I heard a soft thud. Like if a giant moth died mid-air and fell onto my windowsill. Imagining it was a giant moth who died mid-air and fell onto my windowsill, I looked immediately to whence the sound had come, only to realize it was something far, far more terrible.

A single purple petal lay on the sill.

My tulips are dying.

I don't know what to do besides stare at them in abject horror. There is literally nothing I can do to save them. I want to glue the petal back on, but that will make it top-heavy and the whole thing might snap, plus would glue even stick to a flower? I don't want to keep hearing tiny thumps, because each one breaks my heart, but I don't want to unceremoniously shove them in a garbage bag. I'm in a ghastly pickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment