Tuesday, November 23, 2010

confidentially, this is not my favourite temperature

I need to set out a plan in writing so that I don't end up in this same exact situation every single day: I am freezing. My fingers are little icicles. Every key I push could be the one that shatters my icicle fingers into a million little frozen finger shards that will subsequently scatter all over my carpet, but I won't be able to vacuum them up because I think my vacuum has a spider family growing in it presently.

This is how it happens. I come home from work, peel off all my layers, and am toasty warm from the exertion of walking up the stairs to my apartment and unbuttoning all my jackets and unswirling my scarf and then yanking off my gloves. I think, "Man, I'm warm! I will never be any other temperature than this! Only a fool would turn on the thermostat at this time!"

Then I putter around my apartment for an hour or so, until one moment I suddenly realize, "What the crap just happened? I AM FREEZING COLD." So I run to my thermostat and turn it up to high, and then it takes ten billion years to heat up my tiny apartment, and then it's time to go to bed so I turn it off because I don't want to burn down the place whilst I sleep. (Because I am worried about doing this, I put a yellow post-it on the wall under my thermostat when it is on to remind me to turn it off.)

Tomorrow I think it will be different. Maybe I will LEAVE the post-it there, and when I get home I'll be like, "Wait, what? Did I leave the thermostat on all day??" and then I will think back to what I just said just now, and turn it on before I have a chance to freeze. I think that is such a smart idea.

1 comment:

  1. haha.. i have to laugh because i'm the same way.. I turn down my heat when I'm hot, not anticipating the fact that I will cool down later... Hope your spider family doesn't freeze either.

    ReplyDelete