Friday, November 26, 2010

that's a curious name for a motorcar

Lately it's come about that every time I walk into the staff room at work I start singing the song "Truly Scrumptious" from one of the best movies of all time, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The first few times it didn't strike me as odd, because I watched that movie innumerable times when I was younger and probably also some of my students were singing it in the hallways to be obnoxious and get it stuck in everybody's heads. Eventually, however, it started to concern me. Why did it happen every time I walked into the staff room? Was somebody trying to subliminally control me into buying candy? Was somebody watching the movie on a constant loop in a nearby classroom? WHAT WAS GOING ON???

Today, I solved the mystery. For the past couple weeks there has been a box of those arrowroot-style baby cookies on the staff room table. In large white letters on the side of the box is the company name: TRULY. Obviously, since baby cookies are scrumptious, therein lies the connection. I don't know why I didn't put the pieces together sooner; I may have to rethink my side career as an ace detective.

No comments:

Post a Comment