Thursday, November 18, 2010

you're suggesting the wrong things

I don't have cable or a cat, so sometimes in the evenings when I'm done making lunch for the next day and have brushed my teeth and am in my pj's, I like to watch movies from the library. (It's the same as getting them from the movie store except that it's free.) Tonight I watched The Shop Around the Corner, with James Stewart, which is what You've Got Mail is based on. It was spectacular, and so I perused amazon.com for similar suggestions that I can get from the library because I don't know a lot of old movies.

Do you know what kept coming up? Casablanca. And also, Gone With the Wind. Those two are frequently on the top of "old romantic movies" lists. But listen: if everybody dies at the end, or they don't end up together and living happily ever after, IT'S NOT A ROMANTIC MOVIE. It is a DEPRESSING movie. Stop trying to sneak it in on the same lists as The Shop Around the Corner. (I get very angry about this because I don't want to accidentally watch a depressing movie.)

Also: people who were in those super old movies were generally way more talented than people who are in movies these days. They could sing AND dance AND talk really fast AND make their hands shake when they're arguing with James Stewart.