Friday, May 7, 2010

City Nights are Full of Colours

Once upon a time I went to a Newsboys concert. Somebody in charge of something apparently had a brain lapse, and thought that it would be a great idea to house the concert in a black air dome in the middle of August. Thusly, the whole time I literally thought I was going to die from heatstroke. People kept touching me and they were sweaty and sticky and I wanted to punch them. I needed one of those forcefields of electricity to protect myself from jumping, wet, gross people, but that technology doesn't exist yet. (OR DOES IT? Somebody hook me up.)

Needless to say, that was 12 years ago and I have not been to a concert since. Except! For last night. (See, I can evolve.) A friend and I went to see The Zolas, a great band from Vancouver, at St. James Hall in Kitsilano. I became obsessed with this band a few months ago, so much so that I vowed to attend a concert they put on if they ever had one. Which they did! Obviously.

It was a great concert, although I don't have much to compare it to - it was in a small venue which I liked, and their t-shirts were cheap, and I got a free button! My friend encouraged me to steal the concert poster from the front door, which I did, so last night was growth in many aspects - a concert attendee once more, and a law-breaker!

I wanted a picture with the band, but that didn't work out, and I am trying not to be disappointed. They sang almost all of my favourite songs, and they put on a really good show. They actually opened for another band, Brasstronaut, who were also good but not quite as good. My friend and I developed a code word in case we didn't like them, so we could dash out the door without blatantly stating THIS BAND SUCKS. We made it about 5 songs in before the HEAT* and the DYING OF THIRST finally got to us, and then we walked to Subway and drained them of all their beverages. Then I stepped in foamy barf, because we thought it was snow.

*Are all concerts just hot? Is that a thing that happens with concerts? While we were waiting for The Zolas to come on, two people were commenting on that same observation:

Person 1: It's hot in here.
Person 2: It's a church.

As if that had anything to do with it. Also - PLAID. PLAID PLAID PLAID raybans tights and fedoras. My friend and I were the hipster fashion police and made fun of nearly everyone there because of their ridiculous outfits. What happened to wearing normal clothes? Did that suddenly become lame?

1 comment:

  1. Is there such a thing as normal clothes?

    I have been to some concerts where they aren't completely hot. I wonder if that's why most women who attend concerts are really scantily dressed? Something to keep in mind for your next concert.

    ReplyDelete