Sunday, May 30, 2010

Product Reviews: Things That Kept Me From Death's Door

I'm being melodramatic. (I'm quite good at that.) However, I did feel like crap for this whole week, and there are a few things that have kept me going, waging the battle with my ears and sinuses. Some things, like water and toast, will not make an appearance on the list, because we all know that water is boring and toast is awesome.

1. Puffs Plus Lotion tissues (with the scent of Vicks).

I bought these because I was sick of using regular kleenex, that seriously left my nose as red and irritated as the Puffs Plus commercials cartoon noses. I chose the Vicks scent instead of plain because at the time of purchase I couldn't breathe, and I figured that any assistance would be a bonus. I do enjoy the tissues themselves, they are larger and thicker than regular kleenex and can therefore hold more snot. They are also softer, like the commercials say, which is wonderful for my poor nose. However, I do regret the Vicks scent. It actually hurts the inside of my nostrils after a while, leaving a kind of burning sensation that I can't get rid of. Due to that, I alternate between Puffs Plus and regular kleenex. Also, I feel like because Puffs Plus was more expensive, I should save it for when I REALLY need to blow my nose, to make the most of it. 3/5

2. Lucerne Triple Treat Sherbet

Sherbet has been my go-to food in times of sickness, and it never fails me. I love Sherbet. It feels good going down my scratchy throat, and it's light so it doesn't hurt my poor tummy. Plus, the combination of lime, orange, and raspberry flavours wins every time, because why only have one flavour when you can have three? 5/5

3. North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell

I recently became obsessed with the movie, so I thought I'd give the novel a try. And since I can only watch one hour of television per day lest I get an agonizing sinus headache, I needed something else to do with all my time. I'm only on chapter 27, which is about half way (this book is freaking huge), because I don't quite have the attention span for a novel, but it's an okay read. If I didn't already have images in my mind from the movie, I think I would be confused about who and what she's talking about, and sometimes there are really long, boring speeches. Plus it's almost too heavy for my poor sickly arms to hold up. 3/5

4. Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup

I'm not really a soup person, but I recalled soup being a good sore-throat food. I don't like vegetables in my soup, and chicken noodle is the only kind of soup I like, so I had to get little kid soup - the only one without carrots or rice. (Come on. Rice? In soup? Barf.) The can advertises fresh noodles, but I found them to have a weird, soggy texture, and they were too long for my spoon so I kept getting spoonfuls of broth, which is lame. Also, the chicken pieces were SUPER suspect. 1/5

5. Facebook

Without the option of television, and taking into consideration my attention span, the internet is a good choice for me. However, going on Facebook 17 times a day leads me to discover that nobody updates anymore. Come on, guys; I'm bored. Entertain me with stuff. 2/5

6. Tylenol Cold and Sinus

I didn't think they were doing anything for me until I didn't take them for a day, and I felt even more awful than I did before. They didn't really do anything for my sinuses (antibiotics FTW in that respect, Clarithromycin 5/5), but they broke my fever and kept my headaches at bay. I'm pretty sure that all "Cold and Sinus" meds contain exactly the same ingredients (Mom and I compared Contac Complete and Tylenol: samesies), except that Tylenol has a pleasant minty taste. So it's your choice, really. 4/5

7. Minute Maid Orange Punch

"No, Dad, I want orange PUNCH. Not orange juice. I want the one with all the sugar." I dislike orange juice, probably because it's healthy and stuff, but I am a fan of the orange punch. It's so sweet and yummy. I've heard that hot drinks are better for colds than cold drinks, but I get really bored of drinking, so my hot drinks get cold pretty fast and then they are gross. I contribute my improving ability to swallow to this punch. Although it doesn't taste good when it gets to room temperature, so include some ice cubes. Bonus: mix with some Gingerale. Good times. 5/5


I don't know if this was as fun for you as it was for me, but humour me. I'm high on antibiotics and juice.