Thursday, May 27, 2010

Let the World Spin Outside My Door

One of the worst things about being sick is the night time, because I've been sleeping all day so my brain is like, "Uh, I don't need any more of that," and I lie awake for hours. Or else both my nostrils plug at the same time and I can't breathe except through my mouth, and for some reason I can't fall asleep with my mouth open. Or else I keep erupting in giant sneezes and jolting myself awake. In sum: night time sucks.

However, for some magical reason, last night I went to bed at 10:07 after watching the American Idol finale, and this morning I woke up at 6:15. Not only is this amazing because it was unexpected (I had my laptop and a few books and two kleenex boxes at my bedside to pass the time), but because that never happens to me, even when I'm healthy. For some reason, a random interaction of things (hopefully not a potentially lethal combination of my antibiotics and Tylenol Cold and Sinus) bestowed upon me a whole night of blissful rest - no plugged nostrils, sinus headaches, snotty sneezes, or dry coughs.

I emerged from my room and stationed myself on the couch in my fuzzy blanket with some hot chocolate, and heard the morning birds and saw blue sky out the window, and was all of a sudden filled with a great optimistic feeling. Sure, both my nostrils are presently plugged AND leaking snot (how does that happen at the same time?), and I feel like I can't quite catch my breath, and there's drama in the sky with clouds slowly overtaking the blue, but I woke up feeling good and I'm going to try to hold on to that as long as possible.