Tuesday, April 5, 2011

chickens are really hard to hold

Regarding my last post, I found an image to illustrate my feelings on the matter:


Just in case you can't read it, it's from The Holiday when Kate Winslet discovers the boy she likes is actually engaged to someone else, and she tries to kill herself. Then she realizes that's a stupid thing to do, so she sticks her head out the window and slaps herself in the face. "Low point!" she says. "Low point."

Anyway, that was a low point for me. Yesterday and today went MUCH BETTER, which is surprising to me because on the weekends, which is when that post took place, I get to sleep in; on the week days I get up bright and early to take my little mister for a walk before I go to work.

Speaking of walks, I have met more people from my apartment building in the last week than I have in the entire seven months I've been here. For one thing I leave my apartment more than I used to, and for another thing a lot of people can't resist approaching a puppy. Also, I think it gives people a non-threatening way to interact - I don't know their names and they don't know mine, but they know Charlie's. I've met a lot of rough looking gentlemen who would have intimidated me before, but puppies generally have the same effect on everyone; even rough looking gentlemen. (Unless you have no soul. Then you are exempt from this.)

You know when you're walking by yourself and a car approaches, and you swear it's slowing down as it approaches you and you start freaking out and imaging that you are moments away from being kidnapped? That has happened to me SEVERAL times, except that instead of being in my imagination like usual it's actually legitimately a car slowing down as it approaches me, but instead of kidnapping me all they want to do is point and coo at my puppy.

I have a FOR REAL for real blister from exercise! I am so excited. It's because of all the walking I am doing. I am doing a TON of walking. All over the place! Besides meeting millions of people and being stopped in the middle of the street, I have also noticed that either one person smokes pot ALL THE TIME in my neighbourhood, or else there are a lot of people who smoke pot. But I guess that unless they are driving while high and run me over because they are too chill to notice me, pot is the least of most evils if someone in my neighbourhood is going to be on a drug.

Also I am going to have buns of steel when you see me next. Sometimes I feel my will to live seep out of me with every step I take up the GIANT HILL back to my apartment, but then I realize how dumb it would look to just stand in the middle of a hill like an idiot, so I press on. Plus, I have a little energizer bunny pulling me along. Then I tell myself, use that larger-than-average behind you have, and I propel myself onwards. Soon I will not be able to tell myself that my behind is larger than average, because I walk a million times a day now, up a billion hills. It's pretty fantastic.

One last thing: in Socials class today, one student wanted to go down to the office and pick up something his dad had dropped off. Naturally, every single other student wanted to help him carry it. One student peppered me with questions in his eagerness to get sent along. "What is it? Is it a table? A desk? A chicken? Chickens are really hard to hold."

Maybe you had to be there, but that last part just killed me. Oh, grade sevens. How I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment