Thursday, April 28, 2011

we're all reasonable except the dog

This is a typical day in room 207.

Miss W: Blah blah blah teaching blah fascinating information blah blah.

Students: BLAH BLAH TALKING OVER MISS W BLAH BLAH OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOUR.

Miss W: I will just wait for you.

Students: BLAH BLAH BLAH NOT LISTENING BLAH.

Miss W: (waiting)

Students: BLAH BLAH OBLIVIOUS BLAH BLAH.

Miss W: (describes consequences for behaviour.)

Students: WAH WAH WHAT DID WE DO WAH NOT FAIR WAH.

However, everyone was very reasonable today for some reason. Even though it was a work period for one of my classes and I HATE work periods because they are unstructured and nobody gets anything done, I was good at keeping them on task and they were good at staying on task. Also, I decided that instead of having 5 different types of consequences and being confusing, I would have ONE consequence that is super effective that I found by accident. I keep track of how much time they waste and that time is their detention. I think I have a new facial expression: it is called the WATCHING THE CLOCK face.

In dog-related news, Charlie has his first nemesis: a few days ago he got stuck in some hedges we walk past every day, and now he hates them. Now, every time we pass them he attacks them with his baby teeth and tries to tear them apart, and he seems quite satisfied with himself afterwards. They'll think twice before pulling a stunt like THAT again.

2 comments:

  1. What also works well is that you double the time for detention

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - you get those hedges, Charlie! ;)

    ReplyDelete