Saturday, April 16, 2011

sort of politely swing and sway

I never like things like normal people - if I discover something I enjoy, I become instantly obsessed with it and it occupies my every waking moment until I discover something ELSE I enjoy, and so on. (See The IT Crowd, Community, pleated-jeans, Fred and Ginger, and so on.) Anyway, most recently that has been musicals. My wonderful friend Vanessa aided my obsession by lending me MILLIONS of musicals. Adding a furry infant to my life gave me less time for movies, which of course is completely acceptable, but recently I had a chance to watch one of the batch she lent me, and I'm pretty sure I've stumbled upon the best musical that ever existed. Certainly my new all-time favourite movie, which I know because I've watched it about eleven times, and I still love it. She may have trouble getting this one back from me. :)

15. Bloodhounds of Broadway (1952) - Mitzi Gaynor, Scott Brady. It's about this bookie Robert 'Numbers' Foster and his bunch of gangsters in New York who get in trouble with a crime committee, so they take off to Florida and leave Numbers' girlfriend, Yvonne, to give a fake testimony and get them off the hook. She does, and so Numbers and his buddy Poorly drive back to New York, but temporarily get lost in Georgia. There, they meet Emily Ann Stackerlee, who saves their lives but endangers her own by doing so. Naturally, the solution is for Numbers and Poorly to take her with them to New York. There, after she gets a New York make-over, it turns out that while they thought she was a kid, she is actually a pretty young woman. Numbers is flabbergasted by this discovery, and Yvonne is somewhat less-than-pleased. I don't want to spoil the ending, but it is fantastic. Extremely satisfying, which is rare for me because I have very specific tastes.
        What I liked were all the songs, and how everybody's accents were legit, and how handsome Numbers was, and authentic the characters were. There was nothing I did not like, except that there's this one scene where a boy who likes Emily Ann rushes in to her cabin and shoves her aside, and Numbers flips out and is all, "You wanna belt me like you belted her?" Numbers, he did not belt her. He shoved her. Unless the word does not mean what I think it means. Also, there is a man who plays a guy named Curtaintime Charlie, and I am sad for him because even though he is very good-looking and extremely talented, he never really got a big break. Most of his credits on imdb are "uncredited" or "scene cut." That makes me sad.
        Anyway, it's a spectacular movie. You should watch it! Only be careful it's not the one with Madonna with the exact same name. It's the other one. The one with Madonna might be good, too, but this one is the BEST.

2 comments:

  1. Plus, Numbers later played Sheriff Frank in GREMLINS! Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You at least have to watch it WITH me before you steal it. :)

    ReplyDelete