Sunday, April 24, 2011

despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive

I use the word "hate" too often. This was brought to my attention by my wonderful grade seven students, who keep telling me, "Miss W., 'hate' is a really strong word." Sometimes I say, "I KNOW! And I HATE this!" about whatever inspired the use of the word in the first place. Sometimes I scale it back to an intense dislike. But you guys, I truly hate hockey season. I hate hockey season for the same reason why I'm a really bad hockey fan. I love the players, and they try so hard, and I can't imagine how much pressure they are under all the time, and then they make a mistake and the people who are supposed to be on their side become bitter little gremlins who suddenly know better, and can play better, and call them worthless. I am indiscriminate with my affections for hockey players, and I wish them ALL well - like, let's just end this whole thing in a giant tie. Then nobody is sad at the end. (Yes, I'm one of those people.) But somebody always has to lose, and when they lose everybody hates them, and it breaks my heart. I wish hockey fans were more steadfast. The pressure of all the minutes between when the game starts and when the game ends wear on my soul and I feel bad for somebody the entire time, because people are always making mistakes. When it's all over, somebody is always disappointed and I can't stand it.

I'm just really sad about hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment