Thursday, July 15, 2010

hollow bones and the varicose

This morning I was ruminating on the fact that my twenty-fifth birthday is approaching. I feel that I'm not being a very good grown-up, except for the fact that a job is forcing me to move away from home. At this present moment I don't have a real job, or my own car, or RRSPs. I also noticed, as I was ruminating, that I still wear a toe-ring. I've worn this toe-ring 24/7 since 2002, save for a period of time in 2005 when I had ankle surgery, and I haven't given it much thought. This morning, however, I began to wonder: at what age is it silly to wear a toe-ring? I've never really thought myself too old for certain styles or accessories (except for two braids - I'm not sure if I can still pull that off), but I don't see others my age wearing toe-rings.

So, consumed by the desire to grow up, I took off my toe-ring. Just took it off and shoved it in my pocket, as if it hadn't given me the best 8 years of its life. I was pleased to see that the skin upon which it rested was not green or mutated in any way, besides being indented ever so slightly, and the toe-ring was not tarnished. My toe looks strange to me now, naked and a little lumpy, but I'm sure I will acclimatize to it eventually.

Besides this monumental moment of growth, I'm disappointed in how much I've achieved in my life thus far. Hopefully moving to Vancouver Island and living on my own and having a real job will spur me on to finally grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment