Wednesday, February 23, 2011

crock pot: a continuation

While I was at work today, having a terrible, exhausting day, my crock pot was merrily cooking away. I'd tried this recipe once before with less-than-expected results, because I couldn't find plain chili sauce and used sweet thai chili sauce instead, and also I cooked it on high instead of low. Now I know better.

Ingredients
3 pounds boneless pork shoulder
1 c. chopped sweet onion
6 cloves garlic, minced
1  12-ounce bottle chili sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cider vinegar 
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper 

Directions
1)  Trim the fat from pork. (Yuck.)
2)  Mix up all the other ingredients and pour over pork.
3)  cover and cook on low for 10 or 11 hours, or on high for 5 to 6. (Don't do it on high, though. It's totally not as good.)

My mom said you can save the extra sauce and freeze it to put over chicken and stuff, but I haven't gotten to that point yet, because I'm waiting for my rice to cook. I've tasted bits of the pork, and it's fantastic. It's super spicy, the kind of spicy that burns your tongue for a while after the taste is gone - that's why I thought it would be good with rice instead of pasta or something. Apparently, if you use pork shoulder, it will fall apart better. I get confused by all the kinds of pork so I only buy one kind, center chop, which seems to work fine. I can make it fall apart with my fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment