Monday, February 21, 2011

jump on the wind's back

Sometimes I feel as if I'll never grow up. Before I moved, I thought that moving would force me to act like an adult, but I think I was mistaken. I still don't pay my bills on time. I still don't know what RRSPs are, even though I'm apparently paying into one from work. I still don't eat vegetables, despite the fact that I keep buying them optimistically. Every evening I do a massive clean of my kitchen, washing all the dishes and the counters and making sure everything is tidy, but then I have to do it all again the very next day and I'm starting to wonder what's the point. I go on the internet until too late at night and then I have to drag myself out of bed and do the whole thing over again. I'm doing all the same non-grown-up things I did before, I'm just doing them in a different place.

Some unrelated stories spawned these depressing thoughts.

1) Just after I finished cleaning my kitchen tonight I was pouring chicken and sauce from the crock pot into a container, and it all splooshed out onto my clothes and the counter and the floor. Of course, I should have done that before I cleaned. WHY HAVEN'T I LEARNED THIS YET. (Then I was trying to use "No-Sew" goop on a different pair of pants because I didn't want to sew, and I got the glue goop all over my hands and my chicken-juice sweatpants. Naturally.)

2) I stumbled across a really funny British show, and watched all 4 seasons obsessively in one weekend. Almost immediately, it occurred to me that one of the main characters slightly resembled a boy I liked back in my university days. I hadn't thought about him in a long time, but suddenly I was thinking about him every time I watched the show. I just sent him a "hey, how's it going" email, and now I am compulsively checking my email every two minutes.

I am twenty-five. When is this all going to change? When will I get my grown-up crown?

No comments:

Post a Comment