Tuesday, February 8, 2011

is it time for bed yet

Big day today.

1. Pancake breakfast with students and parents. All morning I kept saying "Pancake breaky" in an Australian accent in my head, from Danny Deckchair. I didn't think any of my students would get the reference, so I declined to mention it. I dislike not being able to share movie references with other people, so it made me a bit cranky.

2. Diet Coke/Menthos experiment, and also making slime with Borax, in Science class (to demonstrate chemical reactions, naturally). Class went bananas and half got detention. Never want to do anything fun in Science again.

3. A student went MISSING after school. Every single grade seven student was called in attempts to locate her, as well as the police. I checked in bathrooms and classrooms, imagining her dead in a cupboard somewhere. When called upon, I couldn't remember what she was wearing or what colour her eyes are, or if she'd even been in Science class. I felt like a terrible, useless person. An hour and a half later she was located by her family, safe and sound - miscommunication only. THANK THE LORD.

4. Worked up the nerve to call my landlord, to see if he would budge on the "no pets allowed" policy, seeing as how I already told a breeder that I would take a puppy in March. Oops. But! I was persistent and imaginative, and suggested a form I could sign about paying for damages or whatever. He relented. Now I need to find a lawyer-type who can advise me as to how I can sign such a paper without leaving room for a false accusation of damage situation. I'M GOING TO GET A PUPPY, YOU GUYS! One of these is mine. His name is Charlie.

2 comments: