Wednesday, February 2, 2011

i'm at the susquehannah street jail and i want you to get me out

Today when I got home, the truck was back in my space. Instead of parking beside him, in what should be HIS spot, I parked in visitor's parking which is closer to the front door anyway. Then I stepped in dog crap on the way to my building.

12. Shall We Dance (1937) - Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. It's about this dude who is a ballet dancer, and this lady who is a tap dancer in comedy shows or something? I didn't quite get what she did. Anyway, he sees a picture of her and is all, "I'm going to marry her." She's all, "Meh." So he follows her onto a boat that's going from Paris to New York, and stalks her until she falls in love with him. (It sounds creepy, but it's Fred Astaire in a top hat and tails so it's charming.) Meanwhile, there is this strange lady who used to work with Fred Astaire who is obsessed with him, and to make her leave him alone he says that he's actually been married this whole time. She spreads the word around, and people assume that he's married to the tap dancing lady, since they've been hanging out on the boat. She, being Ginger Rogers, gets super mad about this and leaves. Then, in order to quell the rumors of their marriage, they decide to get married for real and then divorced for real, so people will leave them alone. Of course, instead of getting divorced for real, they fall in love for real and stay married.
      What I liked was Ginger Rogers! She's fantastic. She's so pretty and funny and doesn't take any crap from Fred Astaire. (Except when he stalks her into loving him. I thought she'd be too smart for that.) I also liked the storyline, and the supporting cast was pretty great. There were lots of little funny bits, like when the floor manager of the hotel gets stuck in jail and he's trying to explain to Fred Astaire's manager which jail he's at but he ends up having to spell everything and it goes on for like ten minutes, of him just spelling things. It's way funnier than it sounds.
     What I didn't like was that sometimes they danced for too long and I got bored. Also, the lady who was obsessed with Fred Astaire had no eyebrows. Literally no eyebrows. It was weird.

1 comment: