Thursday, February 3, 2011

if you have fur i'll pat your head

Yesterday in the Save-On parking lot I spent 10 minutes petting and old Golden Retriever who was sitting in the back of a pick-up truck. I was raised to NEVER pet a dog without asking the owner first, so I stared at the dog for a few minutes before going in to get groceries, and on my way out I thought, "It's a Golden Retriever. His face is white. I'm sure it's fine."

(Interesting fact: Golden Retrievers bite more people than Rottweilers do. True story.)

I walked up to him the way I learned how to approach nervous dogs at the vet: eyes downward, hand outstretched. He wagged his tail and smiled at me. I patted his head, and he leaned in to my hand, which is what my dog at home does and I miss that. I'm glad I left before the owner came out, or it might have been awkward, but I'm also glad I pet the dog. I really miss petting dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment