Tuesday, February 22, 2011

that's a pretentious way of saying i'm... unemployed

 Two things happened at Save-On today. First: I was clearly waiting for a parking spot, with my blinker on and everything. But then some jerk in a pick-up truck swooped in and stole it! I shared an eye-roll with a lady who was walking towards me who almost got hit by the stupid truck. Why do people keep stealing my parking spots?!?!

Then, I went to the chicken section to feed my crock pot addiction, and there were NO chicken breasts! There was package after package of chicken thighs, but no chicken breasts. I've never had a chicken thigh before, so I didn't want to risk it, and bought pork instead, but I was so confused! There were a few of us standing bewildered by the where the chicken was supposed to be. 'What... how do I... I don't understand what's going on.'

Meanwhile, in the world of musicals...

14. An American in Paris (1951) - Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron. This one is about an American guy who used to be in the army, but when that ended he stayed in Paris to paint. He's not doing very well with his paintings until a glamorous lady decides to sponsor him (because she has a crush on him, although she's a bit of a cougar because I'm pretty sure she was a lot older than him), and then at the same time he meets and falls in love with a French girl who is engaged to someone else! It's all very dramatic.
     What I liked was the super long ballet sequence at the end of the movie, and Gene Kelly singing a song with a bunch of French kids, and how tiny his apartment was! His bed was suspended from the ceiling, so when he woke up he had to crank it up to the ceiling so he'd have space to walk around, and his kitchen was hidden in a closet, and so on. It made me feel like I have all the room in the world! Also, one of the supporting characters is a failed concert pianist, and he has a fantastic dream sequence in which he is playing a concert, but he's also every member of the symphony, and the conductor, and also the audience. It's creepy and great, all at once.
     What I did not like was how stupid Gene Kelly professed his love for Leslie Caron, and then she tells him that she's leaving with the French dude she's engaged to, so he right away goes to the lady who's sponsoring him (because she loves him) and kisses her and is all, "I love you now! Surprise!" So he takes her to a party, and she's ecstatic because finally he loves her back; but then, Gene Kelly meets the French girl at the party, and they dance a ballet together, and decide to run off together, and that's the end! I mean, I know we are supposed to care about the two main characters and be relieved that they finally got together, but I was left wondering what was going to happen to the cougar lady! Who was going to tell her what happened? Was she just going to wait around for ever and ever until everyone left the party and then she'd realize that he was gone and she had no way home? I was a bit sad about that.
     Other than that bit, I liked this one! I think I would watch it again, especially for the ballet at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment