Thursday, February 17, 2011

go play the game you learned from the morning

I feel like typing for some reason. Sometimes it seems like I'm on the internet all the time and I never get to type anymore. I thought I would be typing emails all the time, but it turns out that even though I moved a million miles away, I am not very good at keeping up contact with people. I seem to have gotten into a routine of not doing anything, so the thought of doing something such as emailing someone I miss is quite daunting. Or maybe I'm just tired at this moment - you know how when you feel something at one moment, it feels like you've always felt that way? I do that all the time. I would like to keep up a twitter-esque feed of all my emotions at any given moment, so I can look back on them for confirmation that no, in fact I have not always felt that way. I may think, man, I am always melancholy. I can refer back to my ongoing tally of emotions, and see that in fact I actually felt quite happy not a moment ago, I just forgot.

Yesterday I took a herd of grade sevens to Duncan for a basketball tournament. I had to get up really early and be at the school at 5:30 am - the one that's in the morning? Before the sun is out and cars are on the road? Nobody in Campbell River is awake at 5:30, apparently. I unlocked the school and turned on the lights in the entrance hallway so it wouldn't be so creepy, and also so that the parents dropping off various team members would know someone was inside. A few minutes after I got in, from my spot in the staff room I heard the door open and somebody breathlessly come inside. I peered out around the corner to see who it was, and it was another teacher! Somebody who was not going on the tournament, who was also at school as early as me!

We stood for a minute and looked at each other, because I was not expecting her; nor was she expecting me. She cocked her head at said, "Are you okay? What are you doing here?" I said, "I'm here for the tournament," but wondered what she could have thought before I told her that. What kind of emergency would have sent me to the school that early? I should have asked her today what she meant, but by tomorrow I'm sure she'll have forgotten. I should also ask her if she's always there that early, because it makes me feel like a slacker. On any given day, I am still dreaming at that time while she is apparently at school working.

No comments:

Post a Comment