Saturday, September 11, 2010

hear the bees buzzing through the walls

This morning I was drinking coffee and reading outside on my patio, and suddenly I looked up and there was a bee RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE. Right between my eyes, hovering and gazing at me. (I'd just awesomely french-braided my hair, so maybe he was infatuated with my beauty.) I freaked out and dumped my entire mug of coffee all over myself. Now all my clothes are in the laundry and I am drinking a new cup of coffee and reading INSIDE.

Suddenly I am a social butterfly. Last night one of the teachers from work invited me over for dinner, with some other teachers and their families. I was really nervous and googled how to be good a small talk before I left, but none of that was very helpful. Thankfully everyone else was capable of holding conversations without internet assistance, which made it easier for me and it was a lot of fun! Tonight is a staff potluck, and now that I know some of them better from last night I think I will be less shy. This is good, because everyone on staff is so friendly to me and always asking how I'm doing and if I need any help, but I can't turn that into a continued conversation so I'm worried they all think I'm a snob. Not tonight! Tonight I will be brave and chatty. Then tomorrow after church I am going to my wonderful new work friend's house for lunch! I am so proud of how brave I am being.

Also, I figured something out. Thursday was terrible, and I was thinking about starting each class on Friday by drilling "RESPECT" into their brains, but then I realized that they are kids, and I am a grown-up, and I shouldn't have lost my patience no matter how they were behaving, and I need to love them and show them grace. With that in mind, Friday was infinitely better. Maybe I am getting the hang of this thing finally.

Now the bee has come in through my window and is inspecting my furniture. I guess I have bewitched him!

No comments:

Post a Comment