Monday, September 6, 2010

two is all you need

I finally had my wildlife moment. I was walking on the ramp towards the waiting room at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, which runs along the water for quite some time, when suddenly I thought I saw something in the water. I stopped and peered closer, and indeed it was two seals! Two! Seals! Just hanging out, doing flips and stuff. I smiled the smile that I've always wanted to smile, but nobody asked me about it because they were all strangers and none of them stopped to see what I was smiling at. It's okay, though, because I saw seals. Two seals!

I also had that awkward moment in which I accidentally referred to my apartment as home. Me: "And when I get home... I mean to my apartment-" Mom: "I heard you say home." Uncomfortable silence.

I thought it would never feel like home, but I think it does now. It felt weird to leave it for a few days as I briefly sojourned HOME home. I can't imagine how attached I'll be in a few more weeks. (Except the radio sucks. There are no good radio stations. Thankfully I live five minutes from everything, so I can flip continuously between the three stations for the duration of my drive and arrive at my destination before I become annoyed.)

Tomorrow is the first day of school. My first first day of school from behind the desk! I'm a little bit scared, but it's funny because I met a few of my students last week and I keep forgetting they are just as scared of me as I am of them. I'm sure it will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment