Tuesday, September 7, 2010

there's no explosions here

So. Today was the first day of school! I was anticipating all this chaos and uncertainty and just hanging on by my fingernails until 10:30 when the children were released, but honestly: it was a little bit boring. (At first I was disappointed, but then I realized I was on crack and instead it was actually a most wonderful answer to prayer.) There was only one catastrophe, and it occurred before I even left my house this morning. Last night I DEFINITIVELY remember setting my alarm for 6:20. I remember checking it several times, because doesn't it always happen that your alarm does exactly what you want it to every morning except the MOST IMPORTANT MORNING OF YOUR LIFE. I woke up at an unfortunate hour, still groggy from sleep, and pondered, "I wonder how much time I have left until my alarm goes off." I reached over and turned my clock around (the neon lights keep me awake) and squinted until I could read the numbers: 7:02. "Well now," I said aloud, "that simply cannot be. I set my alarm to wake me up 40 minutes ago, and I have to be at school in 25 minutes."

I put my glasses on, in case my bleary, fuzzy vision was playing a trick on me, and discovered that oh yes, it was indeed 7:02 and something had gone horribly wrong with my alarm. But you know, it's amazing what a body can do when given the least amount of time to look dazzling and professional in the morning. Usually I like to laze about and drink my coffee whilst enjoying some cartoons, but not this morning. Luckily my hair cooperated and I'd set my outfit out the night before, so I made it out the door only 5 minutes behind. Luckily also I only live 5 minutes away from school, and I am a keener so I was there almost hours before everyone else.

Other than that, everything went smoothly. All my kids came, they found their desks and their lockers, and understood my rules and expectations, and put their names in their agendas, and asked me questions about cell phones and ipods, and then they went home. When my classroom was empty of bodies I sat on my stool and just stared at the desks for a moment. Did that really just happen? Did my first day EVER really go off without a hitch?

It really and truly did. I'm sorry it doesn't make for a better story, but there might be tales to tell tomorrow, the first REAL day of school with full classes and everything. Tomorrow I teach three blocks of Math, grade nine included, and I meet my oldest students who might turn out to be a bunch of hooligans. But I'll be armed with my hooligan-wrangling hat and several teacher's guides, so I'm sure it will be fine.

On another note, I really need to get a camera. The skies in Campbell River are AMAZING, and I have the most beautiful view from my classroom window. I wish you guys could see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment