Wednesday, September 8, 2010

maybe i will be okay

This is what I learned today: don't wear new shoes when you are going to be standing for the whole day. (Luckily the secretary keeps a jar of band-aids outside her office.) Photocopying at 4:30 is perfect because everyone else has gone home except the new teachers. Drink lots of water otherwise you are going to get kidney stones. (I don't have kidney stones. I just noticed that yesterday I didn't drink anything even though I was talking all day; today I've already dranken one and a half of my water bottles! No kidney stones for me if I can keep this up.) Even if you think all the students are out of the building, you need to adhere to the dress code and not bare your shoulders because there still might be some hanging around! No matter how nice your students seem, they will try and distract you by pretending to take an interest in your life. Being prepared for the next few classes comes in really handy when it takes them twenty minutes to complete what you allowed an hour for.

I set my alarm clock and my cell phone alarm this morning as a precaution, and both went off at the same time and I nearly had a heart attack. Also, I was the one who opened the school this morning, so I think I can sleep in a bit. Everyone on staff is really nice and asking me how things are going, and I can honestly say that things are going well! Another not-very-stressful day under my belt. It was actually the grade sevens I had to wrangle, due to some unkind remarks said jokingly and an inability to pay attention when someone else is talking. The older kids were not as scary as I thought they'd be, but I am prepared to be tough if their niceness is just a front.

I played the name game three times today. If you see me and I forget your name, it's because I have 74 new ones in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment