Wednesday, January 5, 2011

at least there's jello at the end of this story

Today was one of those that required all the strength in my bones plus more. It all started last night, you see. I was dead tired at 8:30 (Tuesdays tend to do that to me), so I optimistically crawled into bed and shut my eyes. Instantly I fell asleep, which was wonderful, but at 12:30 I woke up that kind of waking up where you are ZAP WIDE AWAKE. The second my eyes opened I began to worry about not finishing one of my Math classes on time, and teaching another class everything they need to know in time for the FSAs, and not knowing if I'm teaching English next semester, and if my gums were receding fast enough for my two front teeth to fall out, and about calling parents about interim reports, and so on. It's like it was gnawing at every synapse in my brain and I couldn't shut it off, even by counting.

I decided it was useless to try and fall asleep, so I turned on the light and read for a bit, and then I decided to take a shower because I was going to take one in the morning and if I took it at that time it would save me time in the morning. (Since sometimes showers have a wakening affect, I agonized over this decision from the moment I decided to throw off my covers to the moment when I put a towel over my pillow so my hair wouldn't soak through my pillow. But I did it anyway.) Then I perused the internet for several hours, then I read again, and then at 4:30 I fell asleep.

Then I had to wake up at 7 for work, and instead of going to staff devotions like I have done every single morning since I started, I sat at my desk, drank my coffee, and listened to dramatic instrumental music. Each of my five classes was something not quite agony, but a little bit less than that. Then I trudged to my car, went home, and had some jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment