Monday, January 24, 2011

when I look at you i feel wee tadpoles jumping in my spine

Report cards are due on Monday. So naturally, I watched another musical.

11. Brigadoon (1954) - Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse. Lord have mercy, the accents. The ACCENTS! I love a good Scottish accent (love, love, love), but this whole movie was an accent debacle. Did they not have diction coaches? I know such a thing existed at that time, because I saw two in Singing in the Rain.
     Anyway, the plot is this: two dudes from New York end up in this magical, secret Scottish town (Brigadoon, if you will). One of the dudes is Gene Kelly, and he falls in love with this lady from Brigadoon, Cyd Charisse.
     What I liked was the beginning, which was like an enchanted, misty, romantic Disney movie, complete with slow-motion sunshine spreading over a foggy land and a chorus of people slowly singing "Brigadoon." Also, the scenery was lovely, and there were HIGHLAND COWS! I love Highland Cows. They look so chill and charming.


     They also did a really good job juxtaposing Brigadoon and New York, and including song flashbacks to convince Gene Kelly that he knows where he belongs. (Normally, I have no qualms about spoiling things because I like to have things spoiled - movie things, I mean - but I don't want to spoil it for you because unless you know what happens, it is a bit of a shock. I gasped aloud!)
     What I did not like was the atrocious accents. Also, the whole town is shrouded in mystery, and there is this one scene where Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse are dancing and picking flowers. Gene Kelly sees some a bit farther away, and he tells Cyd Charisse, and she FLIPS OUT and is all, "NO! Don't go any further! There's nothing over there!" and then runs away. Gene Kelly is torn between chasing after her, or else seeing what she was so scared about that was a bit further away. I understand this, but it turns out that instead of doing either one of those things, he falls down a hill and sings about love. Dude, come on. I can't find out what is going on until you do, so GET IT TOGETHER.
     Once I got past the accents, however, I mostly liked it. Especially because of how the ending was so satisfying, and also the cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment