Tuesday, January 4, 2011

nothing to declare except my genius

Two ways in which I was a genius today:

1) I wore new boots to school, and didn't notice until I got in the building that they made farting noises each time I stepped because they are a tiny bit too big and my foot was slipping around inside. One cannot wear farting boots around high school kids, so I folded some paper towels into make-shift insoles, and ceased the farting. GENIUS.

2) I was teaching the grade nines about the difference between (-4) and -4 in exponents, and suddenly it came to me to explain it thusly: "When the negative is inside with the number, it's inside the hug of the brackets, so it sticks together and that is the base. When it's not in the brackets, it is not being hugged together with the number." They proceeded to repeat my brilliance in a mocking tone, but I didn't care because when they are writing their tests it's all going to come back to them because of the hugs. GENIUS.

It's currently snowing. They called for snow, but I never believe them; today it appears that I should have believed them. It's really fun to watch from the windows, so a few times in each class today we stared out the window at the snow. (More fun would have been playing in the snow, but then we come into the trouble of throwing snowballs and going to the principal's office.)

No comments:

Post a Comment