Tuesday, January 11, 2011

they are also all wearing pants

Driving home from work in the snow gives one a sense of accomplishment. "Check out how good of a driver I am!" one might say, after successfully backing in to a parking spot after acing the treacherous roads. "I'm amazing." (That's just what I said, except I said it to myself because there was nobody else around.) Then, when I was walking into my building, there was this lady trying to sweep snow off her van with a push-broom, and so I helped her. After that I felt like Superman! Sweet driving skills and an altruistic gesture. Fantastic.

Then I reclined on my couch because working all day after previously sleeping all day is HARD. I made it through my classes with lots of juice and tea and Vicks, but at the end of the day I felt a bit light-headed and I think I'll go to bed soon. Meanwhile, I watched another musical.

9. Guys and Dolls (1955) - Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra, Jean Simmons, Vivian Blaine. This is about gambling, two guys and their respective dolls, and various secrets and misunderstandings. The first thing I noticed was the odd lack of contractions in much of the dialogue. They will alternately say, "ain't got a grand," and "cannot believe they will not take your marker." It was very distracting, and caused me to dislike the movie until Marlon Brando and that lady went to Havana. Then it came about that I can definitely see why he had dozens of illegitimate children - that man is CHARMING.
     What I liked was the beginning scene, where they showed how sleazy the city was in a fantastic dance sequence, and the costumes, and the romance between cad Marlon Brando and innocent Jean Simmons. Of course she reformed him, but he reformed because he WANTED to. Before that could happen, though, there was a terrible misunderstanding and they got in a fight and it wasn't his fault but she blamed him and I felt so bad for him! Jean Simmons, how can you fight with him? He is so charming!
     What I did not like was the lack of contractions - it sounded SO WEIRD. Internet movie trivia tells me that it legitimately copies the writing style of the original author, so I guess that's cool. But it drives me bananas. Also, don't watch Marlon Brando's mouth too closely when he's singing - apparently all his songs had to be mashed together from a bunch of takes because his singing voice was somewhat sub-par, and he doesn't seem to know how a singer moves his mouth.
     Something confused me, however. They sang a song about gazing into each others' eyes and seeing love and how wonderful that was, and it reminded me of a quote from The Sound of Music: "Nothing's more irresistible to a man than a woman who's in love with him." But then, you know all those other movies where the boys are in love with girls who won't give them the time of day, and girls fall for boys who are big jerks? Which one is real life? That's what I'd like to know.
     I am starting to regret my thirst for movie trivia. While looking into this one, I found out that Frank Sinatra was insanely jealous because Marlon Brando (who never sang before) got the title part, so he called him "Mumbles" behind his back! That made me sad. Come on, Frank Sinatra - can't you see how freaking CHARMING he is?
     Overall, I liked this one. It's a good story, and you will not regret investing your time in Marlon Brando.

2 comments:

  1. i have never noticed the lack of contractions but perhaps now i shall? i'm thankful that part did not drive me crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing's more irresistible to a man than a woman who's in love with him - true, if the guy you fall in love with is worth your time.

    And I LOVED MARLON in that movie. Seriously. It was on TV late one night and I was like "ugh, singing" and about to turn it off but then Marlon was there...being sexy. So I watched it. :)

    ReplyDelete