Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dear Howard Keel: I hate you.

Today I am sick. Well, I've been sick for a while. Yesterday, I did a bunch of dishes and then I had to take a nap. This morning I woke up and swallowing felt weird. Tomorrow, which is Monday, which is a work day, I am going to the doctor and then going back to bed. I called in my first ever substitute teacher! It's very strange.

Anyway. After I did some prep and stuff at school, I went to Save-On and this is what I had in my basket:
- 2 bottles of Gingerale
- 3 cans of soup
- sherbet
- yellow cake mix
- cheesies
- caramel rice cakes and also plain rice cakes

 Meanwhile, I watched another musical. I hated it.

7. Kiss Me Kate (1953) - Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel. This is another with the plot of a musical within a musical, except this one spends way too long with the pretend musical. Usually they show snippets, but this one shows a whole act, which got really boring. It's about this ex-husband and ex-wife who do Taming of the Shrew in musical form together, and in the midst of it they fall in love again and then fight again and then fall in love again. I didn't really like any of it.
     What I disliked was Kathryn Grayson's singing voice - it was wobbly and opera-ish, which I do not care for. Plus, I do not think I will ever watch another Howard Keel musical again, even though I have two others waiting for me. He seems to be synonymous with misogyny; in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers he was a big fat jerk, and in this one he actually SPANKS and humiliates her on stage, all because she got mad at him after she discovered that a nice note he gave to her was actually supposed to be given to his OTHER girlfriend. So yet again, he is completely at fault, and yet the woman takes all the blame. BOO HOWARD KEEL. (I should have known, though - the title screen of the DVD had an image of her over his knee mid-spank. I said, "Uh oh," but continued on nonetheless.)
    Skip this one. Howard Keel sucks. And if you wait the whole movie for him to blow up in a horrible, stage-related accident, you will be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment