Monday, June 14, 2010

Dreams of Orca Whales and Owls

Random fact about me: I am unable to see wildlife.

"Did you see that eagle?"
"What? Where? Man, no."

"Hey, there's an otter!"
"Where? There?"
"No, it's gone."

"Check out that deer!"
"What deer? Where? I only see trees!"

"There's a bear! Right in front of your face!"
"What? Where? I can't see it!"

When I was driving in Campbell River, I thought I saw a deer jumping! Like, some sort of hybrid rabbit deer! Alas, it was only some fool on a bike. Every time I am in the wilderness, or driving through it, I hope to be the only person to see some wild creature. I can even picture what kind of smile I will have, the kind of smile that says I have a secret because I saw something you didn't, and the people I'm with will be all, "What? Why are you smiling like that?" and I will say, "Oh, nothing," but be internally reveling in the fact that I saw something nobody else saw.

If you are ever with me, and you see some sort of neat wild creature, you can steal my fantasy smile. Because I will NEVER GET THAT MOMENT.