Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Brightness Fills Empty Space

The scene: mother is watching t.v., I am downstairs taking care of my brother's cats while he is in Winnipeg. The phone rings.

Mother: Every time the phone rings I get butterflies!

Me: Why?

Mother: I think it's Campbell River calling for you!

Me: It's way too early. They won't call today.

Muffles as mother picks up the phone. Pause.

Mother: Laura!

Me (as I walk up the stairs): Wouldn't it be funny if it was them, because I just said it wouldn't be them? (Into the phone) Hello?

Lady: Hello, Laura? This is -- from Campbell River Christian School. We would love to offer you the job as middle school teacher that you applied for.

Me: ... Really?

Because as I felt my heart getting set on the job, I also became worried that I came across as not mature enough, or not experienced enough. I really wanted to go, but I didn't want to want to go, in case they settled in favor of someone older, with more practice, who doesn't accidentally ramble on about Jane Eyre.

You guys! I'm moving to Campbell River! I'm going to be a teacher!