Wednesday, June 16, 2010

One Foot in Sea, One on Shore

Who remembers Bill Nye the Science Guy? Those were the best science classes in grade five, when we got to watch episodes of that phenomenal show instead of reading the textbook or whatever. My favourite parts were when he'd go, "DID YOU KNOW THAT..." and then tell you something awesome, and then be all, "...NOW YOU KNOW." Sometimes I try to whip that out in real life, but nobody seems to get it. Maybe I don't have the correct booming, echoey inflection that made it work. I should carry around a bullhorn with special effects for the next time. For now, you need to imagine it in your head.

DID YOU KNOW THAT...

Apparently "ambivalent" means "simultaneous and contradictory attitudes or feelings (as attraction and repulsion) toward an object, person, or action." For my WHOLE LIFE I thought it meant that you couldn't care less. Like, I have no opinion, I'm ambivalent. Then a few days ago I found out what it actually means, and I can't believe it! How have I lived almost 25 years thinking it meant something completely different? How many statements have I made that make no sense or are inaccurate because I was using a word wrong! I need to buy a pocket dictionary and then consult it before I ever speak again.

This is relevant because I am feeling ambivalent about moving. I am really excited, but also scared. It's like when I told my grandmother last night; she said, "I'm happy... but also sad." That is exactly how I feel.

... NOW YOU KNOW. (What ambivalent means. That was the point of this.)