Thursday, June 3, 2010

Through the Jungle Through the Dark

Some context for my last post: I'm freaking out a bit at the prospect of moving to Campbell River for a teaching job. On one hand this is super exciting, especially in light of my awesome TOC stint on Monday - I realized that I love teaching so much that I would go wherever I had to to do it. (I was a lunch time supervisor, wandering around outside with my reflective vest and settling disputes such as, "She won't let me play," "They're talking about me behind my back," and "I really DO think that climbing this old, dead tree is safe!" Could I BE any more of a teacher?) On the other hand, moving far(ish) away from home and having to pay rent and buy my own groceries and teach grade nine math is scary. Also, what if I move to Campbell River and then all of a sudden Surrey wants to hire me? What if I take the job and move away and I don't fit in with the staff, or I discover that I can't teach grade nine math? What if I go insane with loneliness? I should not count my chickens before they hatch (or is it eggs? Don't count your eggs before they hatch? I don't think I've ever actually used that phrase before.), so I need to stop worrying about it. It's an interview, not a job offer. Chill out, self.

On another note, why do some people pronounce 'human' as 'yooman'? When does 'h' EVER make the 'y' sound? Never. It never does. Stop saying it that way.